If you can't get balloons, helium, or if it's just too windy (more than about 5mph or 10kph wind) for #balloon-mapping, consider lifting a camera up on a kite. Kites are cheap and available through most of the world, and they're easy to build if you can't find one big enough.
You can make a really big kite for just a few dollars in materials -- anywhere in the world! You don't need to buy or waste helium, and kite makers are everywhere -- kids are especially good at it.
It's a fun activity, and flying kites over and over is free, unlike using balloons!
Most kites need at least 5-10mph (10-15kph) wind, unless you use a design for very light winds -- and most need a bit more to carry a 200g camera very high.
Kites that are very efficiently designed can fly at a high angle -- more vertically. But if yours has lots of drag, it may fly at a lower angle -- more diagonally from the ground.
You need wind.
Kites can be designed for many purposes, but some things to balance are:
- cost and local availability of materials
- time/complexity of construction
- portability when not flying (does it fit in a car? a plane?)
- light-wind flying qualities
- heavy-wind flying qualities
- overall size and lifting ability
Where do conversations happen
The grassrootsmapping list -- subscribe in the left-side column!
Activities should include a materials list, costs and a step-by-step guide to construction with photos. Learn what makes a good activity here.
|Is it possible to have a digital copy of the step-by-step instructions?||@SuziT9||over 5 years ago||1||2|
|What are materials we could include in a Kite Making Materials Pack?||@warren||almost 6 years ago||0||5|
|What is the easiest and cheapest way to make a kite big enough to carry a camera?||@warren||about 6 years ago||0||1|
About the data
- What types of data does the method produce (visual, numeric, graphs, charts)
- How to access the data, where is it kept, maintained, accessed, who can get it
- How does the data compare to other commercial methods or governmentally recognized methods?
Edit this page to help complete it!
Updates on kite making
Lots has been published on this site about kite making over the years; some of this may be adaptable into activities to be listed above: