Lead photo by Ted Auch of Frac Tracker, 2013
This event has been canceled due to COVID-19.
Please stay tuned for rescheduling and future events
An Invitation to you and your family
“Let’s Talk About Protecting Our Clean Air and Water” A Challenge to Rural Communities in Frac Sand Mining Areas
- Are health matters regarding clean air and water of concern to your family?
- Should a home be tested for radon?
- How can one help out by being a Citizen Scientist?
- What can I do if I see a potential violation?
Join us for a training on the Sand Sentinel Program.
Where: Bloomer Middle School, The Commons Auditorium, 600 Jackson Street, Bloomer, WI 54724
(While this discussion and training program will be held in Chippewa Co., people from surrounding counties are invited to participate)
When: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 6:30-8:30 P.M.
REFRESHMENTS AND CATERED SNACKS PROVIDED
About this event:
Have you seen sand blowing off a frac sand pile? A stream cloudy with sediment coming off a mine? These are potential permit violations that need to be reported. The Sand Sentinel program was created to make identifying and filing suspected permit violations easier to do. In this training, participants will:
- Learn how to identify observable permit violations of the frac sand mining industry,
- Practice gathering the information required for reporting,
- Identify where permit violations can be reported to, and
- Learn about the value in logging nuisance observations.
Reporting environmental concerns when you see them is an important part of the accountability process for any industry. Permits are required for operating any industry including frac sand mines. They are in effect both when the industry is operating, and when they are closed. However, permit violations often go unchecked if no one reports them. Learning how to identify potential permit violations will help our communities to ensure pollution events are caught and dealt with!
Sponsored by Frac Sand Sentinel: Project Outreach and Public Lab Informational Materials will be available.