Name: Keshav Garg
Affiliation: Indian Institute Of Technology, Mandi
Location: Mandi, India
Degree: Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
Timezone: Indian Standard Time IST(UTC + 5:30)
Part 1: Potential Bugs
- Bold and Italic formatting bug: https://github.com/publiclab/PublicLab.Editor/issues/307 We are facing this bug due to https://github.com/bevacqua/woofmark/blob/master/src/html/wrapping.js#L19-L21 . Only the HTML mode is using the wrapping function. The Markdown mode is using another function and it works perfectly in Markdown mode. Solving this bug would involve introducing the woofmark in src code and making changes to this function. This will also help in solving other bugs.
- Converting text to Header and back again: In the Rich view, we can't convert Header back into text. We should fix this behavior. Also, we can only add header up to "h4" tag. We should increase it to "h6".
- Table Borders : Borders of tables are currently not shown. This should be changed to
- Exiting out of code module: Right now there is no way by which we can start a new paragraph after we have used code module. We can solve this such that pressing the respective hotkey exits the module like in case of quoted text.
Inserting Hyperlinks and File Attachment: Default text that appears after inserting the Hyperlink and Attachment is link text and null respectively. The user most probably wants to change the name other than the default text.If we try to change there name only the first alphabet of the word is identified as link Eg. Word (here blue represent what is identified as a link).We can improve it by asking the user to enter text and link.
Decentering a centered text:If a text has already been centered by the user(and it may happen sometimes by mistake ) then it can't be uncentered. Also if you want the further paragraph to be uncentered then it's not possible now.
- Error Showing even after the User has removed the text causing error :
Part 2: Interface and General Improvements
- Adding new Custom Insert Modules.
Inline Power tags are used to insert a list of notes for a given tag eg.
Title Author Updated Likes Comments Nothing yet on the topic "<tagname>" -- be the first to post something!
Wikis, Notes, Nodes, Activity, Question :
It would be a separate module. It will first ask the user What they want to add? And they can select the options[Wikis, Notes, Nodes, Activity, Question] from the dropdown. Similarly, they will give input of How they want it to be inserted [List, Grid]. The third input would be the tag. Tag search will be similar to that of already present at PublicLab.org
Then after pressing the add button, the relevant syntax would be added to Markdown mode.
2. Inline Maps : Similarly, we can make one more separate module for inserting inline maps which would take input as Latitude, Longitude, Zoom level and Preset Layers from the user.
- Implementing the feature of darkening of all the icons: Implementing the feature of darkening of all the icons when it in use. Eg. The bold icon would be darkened when in use. Similar to the feature that is present in Google Docs. We can easily work on this feature after we have introduced woofmark in the source code of PublicLab.Editor.We can get status of whether we are using a particular module from https://github.com/bevacqua/woofmark/blob/master/src/markdown/boldOrItalic.js#L15-L35 and then can implement the feature of icon highlighting for all modules so that it becomes easy for users to know which modules are currently in use.
- The stickiness of toolbar and Improvement :
The idea of a floating toolbar was introduced so that in case of long notes users don't have to scroll to the end of the page to use the toolbar. But it keeps floating even outside the text area giving a bad user experience. The better way would be to fix the toolbar at the bottom and introduce a vertical scrollbar in a Rich mode as we have in Markdown mode.
- Design optimization for the Bottom bar in Mobile view: The bottom-bar occupies a lot of space in the mobile view. We should optimize it to look good in the mobile view.
- Making toolbar Responsive: Toolbar is cropped in Mobile view and small Screen View.
Part 3: Development process refinement
- Integrating the jest-puppeteer for testing and writing tests in a similar way to that implemented in Image-Sequencer.jest-puppeteer facilitates Keyboard Typing and Mouse simulation so would be best suitable here as well.
- Adding a test for Bold and Italic Formatting Bug.
May 4 - May 25 (Community Bonding Period)
Get to know the community in a better way and read documentation related to Woofmark, Eslint, Husky and jest-puppeteer
May 26 - June 1 Week - 1
Setting up Eslint and Husky for automatic linting
June 2 - June 8 Week - 2
- Removing woofmark as a node module and including it in PublicLab.Editor source code.
- Making toolbar Responsive
June 9 - June 15 Week - 3
- Integrating the jest-puppeteer for testing
June 16 - June 22
End Semester Examination
June 23 -June 29 Week - 4
- Fixing Bold and Italic formatting bug
- Adding test For Bold Formatting
- Adding test For Italic Formatting
June 30 - July 6 Week - 5
- Phase-1 Evaluation
- Creating FTOs from the work completed till now
July 7 - July 13 Week - 6
- Implementing the feature of darkening of all the icons
- Fixing Stickiness of toolbar and Improvement
July 14 - July 20 Week - 7
1.Fixing Inserting Hyperlinks and File Attachment 2.Fixing exiting out of code module 3. Fixing converting text to Header and back again bug.
July 21 - July 27 Week - 8
- Adding new Custom Insert Modules - Wikis, Notes, Nodes, Activity, Question
July 28 - August 3 Week - 9
- Phase-2 Evaluation
- Creating FTOs from the work completed till now
August 4 - August 10 Week - 10
- Adding new Custom Insert Modules.-Inline Maps.
August 11 - August 17 Week - 11
- Design optimization for the Bottom bar in Mobile view
- Fixing the error Showing even after the User has removed the text causing error.
- Decentering a centered text
August 18 - August 24 Week - 12
- Writing Final Project Report
- Complete the remaining work(if any)
- Create FTOs from work done till now
While working on the above-mentioned tasks, the review and suggestion from the mentors and the community members at least once a week would be highly appreciable and would be enough to complete the project.
I have been a part of the PublicLab community since August 2019. It is the community where I started my open source journey by contributing to the Image-Sequencer project.The contribution to Image-Sequencer repository can be seen here https://github.com/publiclab/image-sequencer/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Akeshav234156+is%3Aclosed+is%3Amerged . In total I have made 14 merged PRs and opened around 18 issues in the Image-Sequencer repository.
For the PublicLab.Editor the contribution to project Include
1. Issues opened :
2. Pull Requests :
Currently I am a second year student of B.Tech from IIT,Mandi.I have been actively been contributing to Image-Sequencer and PublicLab.Editor projects and I am comfortable with the codebase of both the repositories
I was also a GCI 2019 Mentor in PublicLab and was chosen as the best mentor.I reviewed a lot of PRs made by the candidate during the GCI period.
PublicLab.Editor is an important and substantial part of PublicLab.org. It's used by all the users who write their ideas,views on various issue. At this point of time it's full of bugs.After completing the project I expect users will have a great experience in writing their ideas/views on various issues.
I fully understand that completing this big project demands commitment. So to complete this project I commit to spend at least 40 hours per week which can be increased as per the situation and work conditions.