This kit, offered for sale by Public Laboratory's nonprofit arm, is the result of experiments with balloon mapping They were for sale through Balloon Mapping Kits Kickstarter If you missed the Kickstarter, you can sign up to purchase one here
The kit is based on the more in-depth description of balloon mapping kit materials here: http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/balloon-mapping-materials
The Kit Contains These Parts:
- A Qualatex 5.5' "Cloudbuster" Chloroprene balloon
- A custom-wound 8" or 9" hoop winder and 1000' (300m) of 110lb (50kg) line, from Shanti Kites.
- A pair of cotton work gloves palm-coated with rubber. to get a grip while bringing the balloon in and prevent rope burns.
- Three 170lb Coastlock Mighty-Mini Snap Swivels
- Ten #64 latex-free rubber bands. We use these because they don't get brittle in the cold like latex rubber bands. They are for the camera rig
- 1.25" diameter steel ring for attaching the balloon to the line.
- Ten reusable cable ties for closing the balloon.
A carabiner for mooring.
Documentation: the latest editions of GrassrootsMapping Guide, Balloon Mapping Quick Start Guide, and Balloon Mapping Flight Checklists and Packing Lists, available on the Guides page for download.