The lead image is by Suzanne Lee ([watch her TED talk](https://www.ted.com/talks/suzanne_lee_grow_your_own_clothes))
* **biomaterial** means a regenerative material created by living organisms, as contrasted with materials that must be mined or extracted, or require high energy inputs from fossil fuels
* **kombucha** is a symbiotic community of bacteria and yeast
* **kombucha leather** is the dried form of the thickened layer that forms over fermenting liquid kombucha
## Design goals
* grow microbial leather that can be sewn or moulded in ways analogous to leather, parchment or homemade paper
* improve our production techniques to gain greater control over the attributes of the final material
* test enhancements of the microbial leather such as coloring or waterproofing
## Project background
Artists and designers are exploring the potential of microbial leather as a sustainable alternative to the ethically and environmentally problematic use of animal-sourced leather. [Parsons Sustainable Systems](https://courses.newschool.edu/courses/PUFY1100) is helping to advance this research.
Questions can be either frequently asked questions, or "next step" challenges we're looking to solve.
Activities show how to use this project, step by step.